It gets frustrating when your gas tank covers in rust. You would probably neglect to hit the road and take it to the mechanic shop for repair.
The gas tank needs to keep clean at all times but gradually, a gas tank can form rust over time. The good news is there is a guide on motorcycle gas tank rust removal.
Getting rid of rust might not be as hard as you think it is. However, you need patience and effort to clean the rust by following the procedure on motorcycle gas tank rust removal.
To remove the rust from your gas tank, you need:
- An acid
- An agitator
- Few nuts and bolts
- A white vinegar
- An empty bucket
- A dish detergent
Motorcycle Gas Tank Rust Removal Guide
1) Drain and remove the gas tank off the bike
To begin the process of motorcycle gas tank rust removal, remove the gas tank off the bike and drain the fuel. Then have a look at the condition of your gas tank, if your tank covers in deep rust, you need to remove the rust vigorously. If the tank has some rust, then it is time to begin the process of cleaning motorcycle gas tank. Make sure you look inside the tank carefully from different angles. This will give you the idea of how much rust has developed.
2) Choose a rust abatement method
Rust abatement simply means getting rid of rust. To begin removing rust from the tank, there are three methods of rust abatement. The three methods mention below:
– Manual abatement: this rust abatement involves using abrasive materials to remove the rust from the tank. Such materials include nuts, bolts and gravel. Any materials can use for manual abatement.
– Chemical abatement: this rust removal method involves using chemicals mostly acid to eat the rust and remove heavy rust formations.
– A mixture of both: this is a combination of chemical and manual abatement. When you do this method of rust abatement, make sure you shake the tank around to achieve the desired results.
These three abatement methods will help you to choose for how to clean rust out of a motorcycle gas tank. Whichever the method you choose it is important to check and make sure you achieve the desired results. You have to spend an ample time repeating the same process to get rid of rust from your gas tank.
3) Prepare the tank
To begin the work of motorcycle gas tank rust removal is to empty the fuel. Then seal all of the holes with either using vacuum caps or silicone plugs. Sealing the holes depends on the gas tank you have. Make sure you choose the appropriate seal to cover the holes of your motorcycle tank.
4) Work Outside
You should have chosen the appropriate rust abatement process. It is important to take precautions that some chemicals are harmful to your living cells. When you do the rust abatement process, make sure you find an open and well-ventilated area. Do make sure you handle the chemicals with care and wear appropriate gear when carrying out the process. If working in an airy place is inconvenient, it is best to work outside.
5) Check Volatility
Before you start the process of motorcycle gas tank cleaner. It is best to test and check the volatility between the agitator and the cleaner. This helps to protect from any health risks. To check the volatility is to add the chemical and the cleaner in a bowl and let it sit for several minutes. If there is no sign of a vigorous reaction, you can proceed to the next step.
6) Add acid and agitator
Adding acid is the first thing you need to do when it comes to motorcycle gas tank cleaner. Do take care that some acids are dangerous to your motorcycle. To carry out this step carefully is to choose a mild acid that will remove the rust efficiently. If acid is inconvenient, you can go for a dash of white vinegar, as it is a weak acid. Once you have added the acid, leave it to settle for a few days. After the few days of settlement, add an agitator by using nuts or bolts to scratch the rust away. When it comes to adding agitator, make sure there is enough space for the nuts or bolts to move freely.
Then shake the mixture aggressively. The duration of the shaking process depends on the buildup of rust. If the rust builds up heavily, you need to shake for several days until you see the bare metal inside the tank. The more aggressive you shake the mixture, the faster it takes to remove the rust. It is up to you when you want to carry on shaking and try to take breaks in between this process.
8) Flush the tank
After you have done the aggressive shaking, flush out all of the mixtures by emptying the contaminated liquid into the empty bucket. Then rinse the tank with hot water and neutralize the acid with some dish detergent. Then fill in the hot water again and empty again. Then allow the gas tank to dry thoroughly. Then install the gas tank onto your bike and enjoy the ride!
Tips and Advice:
– When planning to begin the process of motorcycle gas tank rust removal, make sure you test the chemicals and watch out for any signs of vigorous reaction.
– Make sure you work in an airy place or outside the workshop when working on your rust removal of your gas tank.
– After drying the rust-free tank, do make sure you use the sealer to prevent rust occurring onto your gas tank. This helps to increase the tank’s life from forming corrosion.
– Do make sure you clean your gas tank regularly to prevent forming rust into your tank.
– For how to clean a motorcycle gas tank, choose the rust abatement process to avoid risking your health concerns.
– If your gas tank does not remove the rust fully, you need to repeat the process several times until you can see the tank bare and clean.
– It is best to wear an appropriate protective gear before you begin the process of cleaning motorcycle gas tank. This helps to avoid any chemicals entering your skin and lungs.
– For motorcycle gas tank rust removal, apart from acids and agitator, never use any other solvents, as this would damage your bike.
Here is the guide on motorcycle gas tank rust removal; you can see removing the rust requires effort and patience to get rid of corrosion from your tank. How to clean a motorcycle gas tank depends on the buildup of rust. If you want your gas tank to last durations, then you need to clean the rust regularly to avoid another buildup of corrosion. All you have to do is follow the procedures on cleaning motorcycle gas tank and you will get a rust-free tank.
When carrying out the procedures of motorcycle gas tank rust removal, make sure you test the chemicals carefully before you proceed to the next step. Once your gas tank is clean, you will never be able to think about neglecting to hit on the road again. After all, your gas tank needs to keep clean at all times and free from forming rust. Do take care when carrying out the process of rust removal.
Just follow the process of motorcycle gas tank rust removal and you will never face another rust on your gas tank again!