Hot wiring a motorcycle requires care and attention to avoid overheating during your ride.There are certain reasons why riders hot wire their bikes when igniting their engines.
If you want to start the engine without the use of keys, there are three methods on how to hotwire a motorcycle step by step.
One is the traditional method, the other is through battery power and the last one is by wire stripping.
To get the hotwiring technique correctly, there are different ways to know how to hotwire a motorcycle.
Method 1: Traditional Method
This method is the most common way of hotwiring a motorcycle. There are not many tools to acquire but you should know the ignition wiring system.
This depends on the model of your motorcycle and you must do careful observation to hotwire your bike correctly.
To know how to hotwire a motorcycle you need:
- A small speaker wire (3-4 inches long)
- A motorcycle (obviously)
- A diagram of the wiring system
To hot wire your motorcycle right, follow the procedure below:
- Find the wires or the switch connector that connects to the ignition. The most motorcycle comes with protective covers that cover these ignitions wiring system. Some bikes do not provide with any protective covering that is quite easy to locate the wires.
Note: To look through the ignition wiring system is to refer to the diagram of the wiring system of your motorcycle.
- Once you have found the wires or the switch connector, separate the switch connector and the wires of the socket. Away from the rest of the bundles. These sockets mostly come in three wires, depending on the model of your bike.
- Remove the plastic switch connector and insert the small speaker wire into the socket. To remove the plastic switch connector is to unhook the connector to let the wires come out of the way. Then insert the speaker wire into the socket.
- After inserting the small speaker, start the ignition button. If the lights are on or you hear any sort of a roaring sound, the engine has started.
Method 2: Hot wiring through Battery Power
Hotwiring through battery power is an alternative method, which is a little more complicated than the first one. If you want to hotwire through the battery power, you need some patience and courage to follow this method correctly and carefully.
To know how to hot wire your motorcycle you need:
- A Flathead screwdriver
- A hammer (optional)
- A speaker wire
- To begin how to hotwire a motorcycle is to remove the ignition cap off. To do this step is to hammer the screwdriver into the ignition cap to get it popped off. Sometimes you have to stick to the screwdriver in and wiggle until the ignition cap comes off.
Note: Beware this step might damage your ignition system when trying to remove the cap off.
- Transfer the battery power to the ignition system. To do this step requires a bit of patience, you twist the battery and the ignition wires together. This needs a few times to complete the connection. Once the connection is complete, the power from the battery will transfer to the motorcycle’s ignition.
- Once the transfer from the battery to the ignitions, complete, your motorcycle will be powered on and you are ready to ride!
Method 3: Hot wiring by Wiring Stripper
This method of knowing how to hotwire a scooter is an easy way to ignite your motorcycle without the use of a key.
However, this method requires careful instruction to follow as it can sometimes cause overheating and causes damages to the ignition system. To go for this alternative method needs attention to avoid the mixing up of other wires.
To know how to hotwire a motorcycle step by step, you need:
- A wire stripper
- A sturdy knife (or a pair of scissors)
- Identify all of the wires of your motorcycle. This varies from bike to bike. The ignition wires are usually yellow and black and the battery wires are red and green.
- Locate your ignition wires and battery wires and get them together by starting to strip off the wires.
- Do not clip to any wires except the green and red wires or black and yellow wires. Strip these wires down by only clipping the wires I have mentioned and leave the other wires alone. Remember only clip the battery and ignition wires. To strip of the wires, you need either a knife or a pair of scissors.
Note: Make sure you do this step with care and never mix up any wires when clipping or stripping down these wires. This would cause overheating.
- Once you have finished clipping your wires, your bike should be able to start the ignition and ready to ride on the road!
Hot wiring a Scooter
To know how to hotwire a scooter is almost the same procedure as hot wiring a motorcycle. There are some small differences when hot wiring a moped or a scooter. If you ride a scooter, the wires locate in a different place than a motorcycle.
If you need to hot wire your scooter, you need to remove some plastic parts before you reach the main mechanism. Then you locate the wires and follow the same instructions of hot wiring the motorcycle by referring to any of the procedures above. Once you are done, you are ready to ride your scooter!
Here are the methods of how to hotwire a motorcycle through step by step instructions. You can see there are three ways to hotwire your motorcycles with few procedures to follow. Following these procedures requires care and attention to carry out the instructions safely, without suffering overheating during your ride. If you refer to any one of these methods, you can easily start the ignition without the use of keys.
To know how to hotwire a motorcycle is to refer to anyone of these methods above. Once you hotwired your bike, you are ready to start the ignition and hit the road! Do make sure you follow one of these procedures carefully.
So begin hot wiring your bike and hit the road!