Motorcycle engine fins are the most crucial component of a motorcycle engine.
The engine fins help to increase the heat transfer to ensure a smooth engine on the road. Ensuring smooth engine combustion comes the guide on how to clean motorcycle engine fins.
Not maintaining the engine fins would cause the component to form rust and so would malfunction the whole vehicle.
To maintain the engine regularly, there is a guide on how to clean motorcycle engine fins.
How to Polish Motorcycle Engine Fins
Cleaning motorcycle engine fins is no easy task as the fins might cover in gunk and grime. Cleaning the engine requires patience and courage to maintain the engine fin to get a polished look. If you have dirty engine fins, it is time to know how to clean motorcycle engine fins.
To clean the engine fins you need:
- A car shampoo
- Garden hose with a nozzle
- A sponge
- A bucket
- An aluminum polish liquid
- A small polishing wheel cone-shaped
- A drill
- A chamois
Cleaning the Engine Fins
- To clean the engine fins is to wait for the engine to cool down if you have ridden the motorcycle.
- Use the garden hose and spray the engine fins in medium flow. This helps to loosen the dirt and gunk building up on the engine fins. If your engine heavily covers in the dirt, use high-pressure hose water.
- Use a car shampoo and mix it in a bucket of water. Use a sponge and start mixing until the sponge covers in soapy water.
- Use the soapy sponge and start scrubbing the engine fins. Do make sure you scrub the entire component reaching each part of the fins inside. Continue scrubbing the whole engine fin until the engine fins have completely covered in soap.
- Use the garden hose again and rinse the engine fins until all of the soap disappears.
- Wait for the engine fin to dry.
Polishing the Engine Fins
- After the engine fin is dry, use an aluminium polish and a small cone-shaped polishing wheel.
- Place the small polishing wheel into the chuck of a drill.
- Squirt the aluminium polish onto the tip of the cone-shaped wheel.
- Switch the drill into the ‘On’ position and insert the wheel on each side of the fins. This will allow you to reach such areas that are hard to clean and polish.
- Keep moving the drill back and forth until you can polish the entire surface area. If the aluminium polish finishes, squirt some more aluminium polish onto the polishing wheel.
- Once you have finished polishing, rinse the engine fins thoroughly with water so that all of the polishing substance drains off.
- Use a small chamois cloth and clean the remaining residues or water. This will help to absorb the remaining residues on the fins.
- Leave the engine fins to dry.
Best Way to Clean Aluminum Cylinder Head
If you struggle to clean and polish your engine fins, there are certain ways to clean your aluminum cylinder head easily.
Such ideas to clean your engine fins mention below:
– To make the cleaning easier is to make sure the entire valve head assembly is off the bike. This will allow you to have restoration to disassemble the valve easier when cleaning.
– It is best to avoid using wire brushes, as this will leave scratches if you are not going to follow up with fine-grained sandpaper.
– Using sandpaper is a great piece of equipment to get in between the fins and contouring around the corners. This is important in painted engine fins.
– To ensure smooth edges of the engine fins, you can go for a flat-edged file. This helps to smoothen the edges of the fins. To use the edged file is to wrap it in sandpaper and slide it in between the fins.
– Dremel sanding bits are great for achieving a shiny-mirror effect of the fins. This will help to clean the inside of the fins that are hard to reach.
– To clean the nearest part of the engine fins such as the valve seats and gasket surfaces is to use a power washer or media blasting. This will help to deal with painting motorcycle engine fins to get a successful media-blasting job.
Important Tips for Cleaning and Polishing Engine Fins
Riders should have a fair knowledge of how to clean motorcycle engine fins, which needs careful attention to avoid any leftover residues during the polishing process.
It is important to check your engine fins before and after rides. This will allow you to know how to clean motorcycle engine fins at the right time.
If you want to carry out the process well, there are certain tips to remember:
– Do check the condition of the engine fins before and after rides and check to see how much dirt and gunk builds up. This amount of residues will help you to plan how to clean motorcycle engine fins.
– When carrying out the cleaning and polishing process, make sure you rinse the engine fins thoroughly. Leaving the substance behind will create a dull cloudy finish and so can cause the engine to discolor the hoses.
– Never polish the aluminum fins without cleaning the component first. This will make the cleaning process tougher to remove heavier residues.
– When it comes to the polishing wheel, be sure the wheel has to be cone-shaped. This will make the polishing process easier as the cylinder head has curved edges.
– Be sure you check the manufacturer’s label when looking for good quality aluminum polish.
– If your engine fins are painted, you need to sand first before you proceed to the polishing process. This will allow you to keep the surface smooth. To clean the painted engine fins is to click on this link.
– Before you begin the cleaning and polishing process, wait for the engine to cool down if you have ridden the motorcycle.
Here is the guide on how to clean motorcycle engine fins. You can see cleaning the engine fins needs careful attention to maintain the component in keeping the motorcycle in a good condition. If you do not know how to clean motorcycle engine fins is to refer to the instruction above.
So gather the equipment and start cleaning your engine fins!